HOMEWORK: Assignment #2: D-Tension
VIDEO: The honorable D-Tension presents, "Can You Dig It"
For our second installment of Homework -- our still-shiny-new monthly series of brand new songs by local artists, produced under unreasonable deadlines and irrational guidelines -- we looked to October itself for inspiration, and tapped the wuvable Lowell-rap phenom D-Tension for the goods.
2. THE RULES
In honor of the great and often spooky month of October, please record one (1) song that:
- employs a catchy eight-note hook
- includes at least five (5) uses of the prefix octo- [e.g.: Octomom, octopus, octagon -- all good]
- includes ten (10) uses of boo -- used however you like [e.g.: My boo, That's boo-shit, boo-yah, etc.
- includes at least one Vincent Price sample
- is rad
Ooooh, we get little shivers right from the get-go with "Can You Dig It" -- and not just because Vincent Price plays D's hype man, but because hey wait a minute: isn't that eerie little melody from that episode of The Brady Bunch where they go to Hawaii and Greg eats shit while surfing because of Bobby's cursed little tiki thing? If it's not scary enough that you remember that, "Can You Dig It" is full of all sorts of (rule-satisfying) bits of terror.
There's a flesh-eating nursing home assistant, a brief flash of the "Octomom octopussy" (which honestly made me jump a little in my chair) and plenty of left-field boo! drops (Boo Radleys, Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E., Siouxsie's "Peek-a-boo"). Oh and D ends up getting his face eaten and liking it. Rad, indeed.
Final Grade: A
4. THE SONGEnjoy. Throw it on a flash drive and give it to trick-or-treaters. It's scary good.
DOWNLOAD: D-Tension, "Can You Dig It" [mp3]